- Trailer Couplings must be strong enough to take the weight of a fully loaded trailer.
- Should be marked with the manufacturer’s name or trade mark and rated capacity.
- Trailer Couplings must be equipped with a positive locking mechanism. The locking mechanism must be able to be released regardless of the angle of the trailer to the towing vehicle.
- Safety chains must comply with Australian Standards.
- Trailers less than 2500 kg when loaded must be ﬁtted with at least one safety chain.
- Trailers over 2500 kg when loaded must be ﬁtted with two safety chains.
To prevent the front end of the drawbar from hitting the ground if the coupling is disconnected,safety chains must be:
- As short as practicable and connected to the towing vehicle.
- Crossed over if two chains are ﬁtted.